Surgicom was established as the business arm of ASSA in 1996 to manage strategic private practice matters for General Surgeons. Surgicom is a public company owned and managed by General Surgeons.
Surgicom must be strengthened by increased membership support to deal with the ever mounting demands placed on members, inter alia, Government criticism of private practice in South Africa, the role of private practice in the proposed National Health Insurance (NHI) System, income of specialists in the private sector, the role of medical schemes and Scheme Administrators and other important matters such as regulatory reforms and legal challenges.
The Surgicom Business Model:
- The Board of Directors is made up of General Surgeons that have been duly nominated and elected. The current Board comprises:
- Dr Philip Matley, Cape Town (Chairperson)
- Dr Bheki Dube, Port Elizabeth
- Dr Nadine Haran, Johannesburg
- Dr Thlelani Lowan, Polokwane
- Dr Dean Lutrin, Johannesburg
- Dr Mike Klipin, Johannesburg
- Prof Sats Pillay, Port Elizabeth
- Dr Suresh Raidoo, Durban
- Dr José Ramos, Johannesburg
- Dr André Reddy, Durban
- Dr Thinus Smit, Pretoria
- Dr Mike Wellsted, Johannesburg
- Dr Stephen Grobler, Bloemfontein (Consultant)
- Prof Paul Goldberg, Cape Town (ASSA Representative)
- The Board has restructured Surgicom to be compliant with the new Companies Act and to enjoy benefits of less costly internal financial review. The Board out-sources various operational issues based on service agreements and at predetermined costs. Our forecasts are that these services will be obtained at less than the prior dispensation with a more advanced and extended service offering.
- Surgicom employs the services of HealthMan (Pty) Ltd on a contractual basis to advise on and who manages all routine operational tasks, as well as providing SURGICOM with additional services where required.
- The advantage of this business model is that Surgicom does not have to invest money or resources in staff, premises and equipment and therefore operates as a ‘virtual’ organisation.
- All Surgicom members automatically receive SAPPF membership.